Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Summer Reading

As a young girl I would often lose myself into books for hours on end, much to the chagrin of my sister who would much rather have had me interested in playing street hockey with her. I have no time to read myself nowadays, but I have passed this love of reading on to all the boys. Our house is overflowing with books, and often we take a trip to the thrift store to buy huge bags full of their ten cent novels. Books however have never held them in their grip for hours on end as I remember my long summer afternoons sprawled on my bed thoroughly unable to escape from a book's grip.



Giving birth to a child who is a clone of their father in looks and personality is an interesting experience. Tanner is an absolute joy but there is very little of ME in him whatsoever. He has been completely and totally his father's son. Tall, lanky, peaceful and sensitive, just like his dad.



And then there was the summer he was 11. Here is a selection of pictures of Tanner's week in Saskatchewan.

He read in the library...

He read in the kitchen ...



He read outside while he was "babysitting" ...


Now obviously a love of good books comes from both sides of the family as there are 2 formal libraries in my husband's parents home, as well as book shelves and reading chairs in every room, including the kitchen. But for once I see a reflection of my own childhood in my son, and it was nice. He was reading the series Jacob Two-Two by Mordecai Richler.


1 comment:

Tina B said...

I can totally relate to todays post Jen. I have always loved reading and still stay up way to late some nights entranced in a good book (late because I don't have time to start reading until 9 or 10pm these days.) Now I often have to tell the kids to finish up there chapter and turn out the lights for bed because it is so late. What a wonderful trait to pass on from generation to generation.

I would love Shel's parents place with the libraries - sounds amazing.