Friday, August 7, 2009

Young Love

There is something amazing about watching your child, as large as a man, with a voice as deep as a man's, but still a child himself, whisper sweet, high pitched nothings into a baby's ear.


My boys, all 4, have enveloped both girls with a fierce and protective love. The babies are adored, hugged, snuggled, and talked to in a way that gives me a glimpse of the Fathers my sons will become. They care for the girls in a way that shows me that I have done my job in laying a foundation that will allow them to love a child with an all consuming love. To hope, and know, that we have broken the cycle that our oldest two stepped out of. Knowing, in fact, that THEY have broken the cycle of abuse and loss and abandonment for themselves.


And yet, when I think of how our family has enfolded and meshed completely with these two little lives, I remember the pain of prior loss, my stomach churns. Trying not to borrow worry about tomorrows, I choose to focus on today.

Today I will love these children fully.
Today I will celebrate that we are a family.
Today I will choose to mother them in the way it takes to heal them of their past hurts.
Today I will enfold their parents into our lives and support them on their journey.
Today is good.

9 comments:

Kristie said...

Hi,
Once again blessings on you and I only hope that I can manage to give to mine what you have instilled in yours
K

Alyssa said...

Love this! The pictures are beautiful...they all look so happy.

Tudu said...

I can't believe how much they are growing. They look so sweet next to the tiny girls. Since my situation changed so drastically so quickly for the better, my fingers are crossed just for you now.

birthmothertalks said...

How sweet!!!

Jenny said...

Just beautiful. Both the pictures and the sentiment.

Unknown said...

Hi, been reading your blog for a couple of weeks now (when I discovered it there was a marathon session of catching up). As someone working on adoption through the public system, I have been scouring the 'net for anything positive - it's sometimes hard to come by. And then I found your blog. I am in awe of your beautiful family and of the work and love you've put into creating such incredible kids. I can pretty much predict that every time I check in on your blog it'll either bring a tear or a smile (usually both). Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your journey.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Just beautiful, Jen. The photos and the thoughts.

Unknown said...

Thank you to you all :) I really enjoy the comments from new readers (and old)!!

Kuchenmeister said...

The pictures of the older boys and the baby made me tear up. You are doing a great job!